If you are a student in college there are lots of ways to save money, which is going to be great news for you, and may be great news for Mom and Dad as well. The old ‘dear mom send money’ routine is becoming less and less dependable, with the economy continuously heading in the direction that it has been, in this day and age.
Good News for you College Kids
Some insurance companies still give special considerations to college students who are enrolled in certain sororities and fraternities such as delta, alpha, omega… you get the idea. It is important however to shop around, for the best insurance company that will suit your needs, because not every insurance company will offer car insurance rates, at a discount for students. Depending on your insurance company, if you are an exemplary student you could possibly get a discount of as much as 25%. Alternately however, some insurance companies offer as little as 10%, or no discount at all. Do you view yourself as a good student? Actually what’s important is that the insurance company views you as a good student. So what exactly is a good student, in the eyes of an insurance company? If you have a 20% or better ranking in the top of your class; if you are able to achieve a 3.0 grade point average and keep it going throughout the year; and you probably need to be a full-time student in order to qualify for a true college student discount. A further stipulation may be that you only qualify, if you are less than 24 years of age but over 16.
More Money Saving Ideas for College Students
As stated earlier there are lots of ways to save in college, you simply have to know where to look.
- For crying out loud if you’re a student that means you have access to a library. So Einstein, any idea how many CDs, DVDs, and more there are in the library? Stop renting movies and buying DVDs!
- Okay you have to get out every now and then, so you want to see a movie. But at least go during the day (matinees) to save some money.
- Then again it might not be a bad idea to stay in for the night, maybe study, or just talk with a few friends.
- Never buy new, when you can use secondhand.
- Stop buying those crazy “dry clean only” fashions.
Of course, these are only a few suggestions, there are tons more to be found.